Portfolio Guidelines for Vocal Music
*All portfolios must be electronic on created on google.sites from your school account address.
They will be submitted as part of your final exam grade at the end of the semester.
Students will create a website that will document your journey through chorus and will help you track of your vocal and intellectual development.
1 – Go to https://sites.google.com/s/1rt-UKzhuPrIBxex3BUEuS0YDMePNfcXp/p/1Wtz1Y-QE5Dzz8EHHH9RQVQZMIiAisz11/edit (You will do this with Mr. Mullinax in calss.
2 - !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! DO NOT CHANGE ANYTHING ON THIS SITE !!!!!!!!!!!!
3 - Click on the 3 small dots on upper right hand corner just to the left of the word “PUBLISH”
4 - Click on DUPLICATE Site. Your domain name should be
hhsplus your student ID for Heritage students and
whsplus your student ID for Wakefield students
You may choose from any of the templates, HOWEVER, from experience the most boring looking ones wind up looking better. They are easier to manipulate and are cleaner in appearance once you add all your material.
These can be created on your mobile device or on a computer. I find it easier to create the page itself on the computer then upload and manipulate material via your phone.
You will only receive ONE grade for the portfolio itself. Some assignments contained therein may be graded individually, (sight reading and repertoire discovery sheets) however, many will be graded as part of the portfolio itself. (Concert critiques and performance essays)
The portfolio grade is included in your final exam grade for this class. Exemptions do NOT apply to portfolio requirements.
Your portfolio should be neat, easy to view and understand. Pretend you are showing you work to someone that knows nothing about singing. Make sure picture of all work is large enough to read well on a computer.
Your portfolio will contain representative samples of your work throughout the semester. It does not have to contain everything we did in class unless the assignment is only graded as part of the portfolio, (ex. Concert reviews..), however, it should be a diverse and extensive body of work. Please understand, this is not a “dropbox”. This is a public website that could be seen by other teacher and/or the public. You should make sure your material is professional and DO NOT under any circumstances put your full name or contact information anywhere on the site.
Assignments for this project are based on the NC Essential Standard Course of Study
You will complete and submit 1 project from each section of study. If you would like to see a more detailed description of what criteria these assignments may be based on you can find that information here:
The portfolio must contain THREE SUB tabs UNDER your CHOIR PAGE in addition to the Home page which may contain a short biography of your time in chorus. There may be additional pages as needed located under each tab or additional tabs may be added for any other information you wish to add.
Musical Literacy – For the most part, your sight singing examples will satisfy this requirement, however, at times there will be additional assignments that may be assigned. For example, you may be asked to record part of your sectional rehearsal during class or Pride Time and upload it to your site documenting the name of the piece and what challenge you were trying to address as a section. Or you may be asked to compose a simple composition based on something we have studied and upload that.
- Apply the elements of music and musical techniques in order to sing and play music with accuracy and expression.
- Interpret the sound and symbol systems of music.
- Create music using a variety of sound and notational sources.
This section must contain samples from sightreadingfactory.com
– You must submit both visual and aural examples of your work. This will enable you to track of your progress over an extended length of time. You should have at least 3 examples per quarter (6 per semester). See instructions below.
To insert a screen print and recording into your web site:
- -Go to SRF and select the assignment you would like to upload.
- -Open the assignment and copy the URL code.
- -ON your Google Site open Music literacy page
- -Click Insert / Click Embed
- -Paste URL into box. Select Sample.
Musical Response - Understand the interacting elements to respond to music and music performances. (Self Observations and Critiques of Concert Performances and Jury performances will satisfy this requirement)
- Assessments, Tests, Quizzes, Progress Reports
- Performance Evaluations
- Rehearsal Evaluations
- Post Performance Essay (typed – MLA format)
- Outside Music Performances – All students (regardless of level of study) will be required to attend 2 performances outside of school during the semester and submit a “Vocal Concert Critique Form” of the chorus event you attended. You MAY attend other high school choir concerts, college choirs, community or professional choral ensembles. Operas or Professional solo recitals may also fulfill this requirement. The only exemptions are students who participate in outside choral performances. (Master Chorale, NC Honors Chorus, All State Chorus, etc. ) In this case you must submit the program that has YOUR name printed on it as part of the ensemble. Musicals or church cantatas do not fulfill this requirement.
- Literature Discovery Sheets
- Important Handouts
- Research Assignments